Stock Market Integration as a part of Financial Market in the ASEAN Economic Community
Keywords:ASEAN Economic Community, stock market integration, foreign exchange market, visual inspection, correlation analysis, cointegration analysis
AbstractThis paper is trying to assess whether the stock market in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries, among others Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Philippine, Malaysia, and Vietnam, are integrated monthly data from January 2000 until August 2014. To support that analysis, a somewhat similar approached is done for the foreign exchange market in the same ASEAN member countries. The empirical results suggest that the ASEAN stock markets are co-integrated (except Philippines). Also, there is a positive relationship between Indonesia's and other ASEAN member countries' foreign exchange market. Those analysis were done in relationship with the new regional condition, faced by the new government just recently elected, that is, the ASEAN common market, which would be implemented in 2015.
Abimanyu, Y., Warsidi, N. S., Kartiko, S., Kurnia, R., & Mahrani, T. (2008). International Linkages To The Indonesian Capital Market: Cointegration Test. Kajian Ekonomi dan Keuangan. Vol 16 No 2. Badan Kebijakan Fiskal. Jakarta.
--------------------. 2004. Memahami Kurs Valuta Asing. Lembaga Penerbitan Fakultas Ekonomi Universitas
Indonesia. Salemba. Jakarta.
Agenor, P. R., & Montiel, P. J. (1999). Development macroeconomics 2nd ed. Princeton University Press.
Artis, M. J., & Hoffmann, M. (2006). The Home Bias And Capital Income Flows Between Countries And Regions. CEPR Discussion Paper.
Enders, W. (2009). 2nd ed. Applied Econometric Time Series. Wiley.
Falianty, T.A. (2006). Optimum Currency Area: Studi Kasus di Negara ASEAN 5. Disertasi Ph.D. Fakultas Ekonomi Universitas Indonesia. Depok.
Green, W.H. (2011). 7th ed. Econometric Analysis. Prentice Hall.
Kim, S., Kim, S. H., & Wang, Y. (2006). Financial Integration And Consumption Risk Sharing In East Asia. Japan and the World Economy, 18(2), 143-157.
Obstfeld, M. (1998). The Global Capital Market: Benefactor Or Menace? (No. w6559). National Bureau of Economic Research. Cambridge, Mass.
Obstfeld, M., Rogoff, K. S., & Wren-lewis, S. (1996). Foundations of international macroeconomics (Vol.
. Cambridge, MA: MIT press.
Plummer, M. G., & Yue, C. S. (Eds.). (2009J. Realizing the ASEAN Economic Community: A Comprehensive Assessment. Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
Click, R. W., & Plummer, M. G. (2005). Stock Market Integration in ASEAN After The Asian Financial Crisis. Journal of Asian Economics, 16(1), 5-28.
Rauf, M.S. (2008). International Risk Sharing dan Integrasi Keuangan: Studi Empiris Di Negara ASEAN. Disertasi Ph.D. Fakultas Ekonomi Universitas Indonesia. Depok.
Nasution, A. (1999). The Financial Crisis in Indonesia, in East Asia's Financial System: Evolution & Crisis. Editors: Seiichi Masuyama, Donna Vandenbrink, Chia Siow Yue. NRI Tokyo and ISEAS Singapore.
Rossi, M. (1999). Financial Fragility And Economic Performance In Developing Economies: Do Capital Controls, Prudential Regulation And Supervision Matter?. IMF Working Paper. Washington DC.
S0rensen, B. E., & Yosha, O. (1998). International risk sharing and European monetary unification. Journal of International Economics, 45(2), 211-238.
Huyghebaert, N., & Wang, L. (2010). The co-movement of stock markets in East Asia: Did the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis really strengthen stock market integration?. China Economic Review, 21 (1), 98-112.
STATEMENT OF AUTHENTICITY AND COPYRIGHT RELEASE
I hereby certify that:
- The article (Article tittle) is authentic and never being published previously or will be published in other publication as well as not a plagiarism in any form.
- The article does not have any issue with other parties, regarding of the publication copyright.
- All the authors have read this statement and agree with the name and sequence.
- Hereby, I transfer the copyright of my article (Article tittle) to the KEK Editorial Board . this copyright transfer includes a right to reproduce a photograpgh for the similar article and its translation. This is also including a right to upload the article into a computer system which disseminated widely on the internet.
- Hereby, I agree with my article (Article tittle) to be published by KEK Volume (xx) Edition (x), under Creative Common Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 licensing. This is also including a right to upload the article into a computer system which disseminated widely on the internet.
Name : (Full Name)
Date : (Signing date)